Bee Theng is associate professor in ICT and the Director School of Research, Swinburne University of Technology Sarawak Campus. Sarawak, Malaysia
Her research interests are:
- Artificial intelligence in activity recognition, natural scene text recognition, speech emotion detection, road accidents recognition, wafer surface defect detection, financial risks recognition, aesthetic preference of design objects etc.
- Smart/creative technologies for people with visual impairment, autism, cerebral palsy, intellectually giftedness, paediatric cancer
- Alternative learning methods in education, STEM and AI education
- Rural informatics for bridging the digital divide
- Impact study of digital devices
She has been actively contributing to her research areas with various edited books, peer reviewed journals, conference proceedings, higher degrees in research, and funded research projects. She is a currently a Senior Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, IEEE; senior member of Association of Computing Machinery, ACM; Professional Technologist of Malaysia Board of Technologist, Certified Tester of International Software Testing Qualifications Board. She has also actively serving in IEEE committees and projects.
- IEEE Sarawak Subsection Ex-COMM 2016; IEEE Sarawak Subsection Chair 2017-2018; IEEE Sarawak Subsection Immediate Past Chair 2019-2020; IEEE Sarawak Subsection Treasurer 2021-2022; IEEE Swinburne Sarawak Student Branch, Advisor 2019-Present; IEEE Region 10 Newsletter Committee 2021-2022; IEEE Malaysia WIE Student Network Advisory 2016;
- General Chair, IEEE Region 10 sponsored Humanitarian Technology Conference, 2020; Technical Committee, IEEE Sarawak technical-sponsored ENCON, 2019; Publication co-chair, IEEE Sarawak technical-sponsored ICONDA, 2019;
- IEEE US: Project Leader and Winner, IEEE US Engineering Project in Community Service (EPICS) 2013; Project Leader and Winner, IEEE US HAC Events Fund to Humanitarian Technology and Sustainable Development Project, 2020; IEEE Section: Outstanding Volunteer, Malaysia Section, 2019; IEEE Region: Project Leader and Winner, IEEE Region 10 HTA Committee Humanitarian Challenges, 2020; IEEE Region 10 PG Paper Contest, 2020